Friday, 23 April 2010

The Start Of The Show Season

Typical Easter weather, I was really glad I had not camped as it would have been almost impossible to manage being pitched on the tarmac roadway with no garden and multiple dogs, many people like myself had thought better of it. Saturday was such a wet overcast morning that I almost chickened out of going to the show however after a certain amount of indecision I loaded the boys into the van and off we went, a foul journey at first driving into what almost looked like midnight the sky was so black and at one point I vowed to turn back at the next junction, but things improved and I arrived at Ardingly with plenty of time to walk my first courses. I had a pretty good day getting 5 clear rounds and two with 5 faults.
Sunday looked hopeful but in fact it was colder and cloudier than Saturday. As I had no early runs I was able to leave at a reasonable hour and did not arrive at the showground until past 9 o'clock. This was not such a good day as I only had the one clear round but nevertheless I and the dogs enjoyed the day. I gave the dogs a nice long walk in the equestrian cross country fields at lunch time when they returned plastered in mud as they did yet again when we had another hour long walk before returning home. Poor Roli nearly got lost twice in returning to the van, he saw lines of vans and doggedly trotted towards them deaf to my calls, happily on both occasions someone intercepted him before he got thoroughly lost, he obviously thought 'his' van was parked there, but we were parked in the opposite area. Sadly he is getting old now and it is starting to show at times, much as I don't want to admit it.
At long last I have a new conservatory roof, I really could not manage with the leaks any longer as it was a case of gallons of water rather than pints! Since it's erection it has not rained, fingers crossed that it is leak proof!
Last weekend I was at Newbury, while setting up I heard a not unfamiliar scream coming from Sara's garden, it appeared that Lolly who is only maggot sized had pinched her bread and scoffed it! It was not long before Sue arrived and once we had all completed setting up we gathered in my garden to enjoy the sun over tea and a slice of an excellent coffee cake freshly made by Sara which she sliced in my caravan and left on the table. As usual two of Sara's dogs invaded my garden, happily my boys were tolerant of the situation however I happened to go into my caravan to find Sara's Ben just finishing off the cake!!
Friday night was bitterly cold, despite a hot water bottle and an extra fleece blanket I did not sleep well due to the temperature but was too cold to get up and do anything about it! I heard the same story from most people I met that day! The morning came to consciousness with the caravan windows iced over and a goodly frost outside. I was fortunate that my gas and water did not freeze however the contents of my fridge were pretty well frozen!I enjoyed the day and my runs although we did not do anything spectacular but had some great runs plus a few clear rounds. Roli and Tambi thoroughly enjoyed their Allsorts which they jumped at Micro height coming over the final jump to receive a nice tripe chew which went down a treat.
I was more prepared for a cold night this time and as a result slept well awaking again to iced windows and frost. By nine o'clock it was unbelievably warm and we enjoyed another glorious day. Again we had some really good runs when Keeto ran superbly but in his jumping doubled up in the weaves owing to his speed and thanks to me turning on my ankle I did not make it to the end of the dog walk in time to stop him just missing the contact in his agility, it was comforting to be told that it was a stunning run. Kai too just missed out but did really well. Chart.........................well was a little monster, he was determined to do his own thing and enjoyed himself enormously, but that is Chart, sometimes he is really good and others, a little b------! He hates to be corrected and in both his runs he started before I told him to, so I took him back to the start, in fact no less than 3 times in the agility run so he was determined to get his own back! I would not change him for worlds, he is a real character!

No comments:

Post a Comment