Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Fraught!

I was just getting into my van to take Brigg to his training morning when Brother Mike called me on my mobile to tell me Tony was in hospital again, apparently he had been coughing badly and had a temperature so the nursing home called an ambulance around 9pm last night. Obviously there was nothing much I could do so I took Brigg to Sunbury and we spent a worthwhile couple of hours in a group with 5 other dogs being instructed by Toni Dawkins. I came away with much to think about and practice and am looking forward to our next session in 4 weeks time.
Having walked the dogs I went to the hospital where eventually I located Tony who had been moved from A and E. to the Medical Assessment Unit and ended up in a large side room in yet another ward. He looked dreadful, pale and tired but nevertheless was quite cheery. As far as I could make out he had a slight infection on his lung and was being treated with a drip and antibiotics. I must admit I was cross to find that apart from his pyjamas and the bed covers he had obviously been wrapped in to transport him, the nursing home had thought to pack nothing, not even spare pyjamas and slippers, as it was he was dressed in the hospital green pyjamas and slippers which he said were very warm and comfortable, his soiled pyjamas the nurse had chucked into a bag along with the clean bed covers, not exactly hygienic!! I drove forthwith to the nursing home and found a staff nurse to unlock his room so that I could collect his glasses, brush and comb etc. I decided not to bother with pyjamas as at least the hospital would wash their own!!! Back to the hospital to drop off his stuff so at least he had reading matter and glasses to be able to do so. I finally got home after 4 o'clock and was more than ready for a coffee not having had a drink since breakfast!
The following morning I was off to the nursing home to pick up Tony's razor which I had forgotten to collect yesterday before driving to the hospital to see Tony who was so much better that they were discharging him back to the nursing home that afternoon!
This morning did not get off to a good start as the nursing home phoned to say that the bag containing Tony's belongings had not been returned with him yesterday and could I chase it up! Frankly I would have thought it was their business to perform this task! I drove down to St. Peter's absolutely fuming and arrived at the ward to find no one knew what had happened to the bag, it was all packed ready to go, I know this as I had packed it myself and left it on his bed where it could not be missed! I was about to explode when I heard my name called and who should it be but an agility acquaintance clad in a bright red uniform who just happened to be the matron in that ward! She took immediate charge and shortly afterwards the bag had miraculously appeared!
Having spent some time at the hospital yesterday and again today in chasing up Tony's missing wristwatch which he insisted he had been wearing when he was admitted to A and E. to no avail, I again checked with the home that he had actually been wearing it when he left, apparently so, however just as I was about to leave the car park I was stopped by the sister in charge of the home to say his watch was in their safe.......Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment