What a lovely weekend it turned out to be at Ipswich with warm sunny days and stunning sunrises and sunsets. This was quite a big show once again with 9 rings and large classes. The dogs worked well and we picked up a great many clear round rosettes plus Chart's 23rd place in jumping and Kai's 9th also in jumping. The really pleasing thing was that Chart did not miss a contact during the entire weekend, although he did running contacts and flew around the courses he was unplaced in agility missing out by a fraction of a second. Some of the courses were very tricky, however the Helter Skelter classes were unbelievably easy no doubt as there were some 350 dogs in the class the judges wanted to get it over as soon as possible!! Tambi and Roli actually had an agility course one day which they both enjoyed, neither went clear, Roli as usual knocking a pole and Tambi treating the A frame as a diving board. The hedgerows surrounding the exercise area were full of sloe bushes, I picked a bag full to make some sloe gin, it was a tedious task pricking each fruit 10 times but the end result will be worth it.
Last weekend passed pleasurably enough, I made good time to Norfolk, the venue was The Word Horse Welfare Centre and for the first time ever, a no smoking venue, however I did see one couple flouting the rule! It was obvious on arrival that there had been no rain for a long time as the grass was completely brown and the ground hard as iron. It was good to have a pre allocated pitch instead of searching around for a free space and I was precisely 30 seconds from both the exercise area and the outdoor rings, mind you the exercise area was not great but it was adequate. Had I realised that some of the rings were in the equestrian centre I possibly would not have gone as these buildings are usually made of corrugated metal and the noise of barking dogs is magnified to unbearable levels, besides which I hate running on sand but this indoor school was huge and timber clad with a great surface to run on and housed the 2 indoor rings with plenty of space for queuing and spectating. The other 3 rings were outside. I must admit it was a great advantage in having the indoor school on Saturday when gales swept across the countryside but at least this kept the rain at bay but it was somewhat cool, such a contrast on Sunday with warm sunshine and summer like temperatures.
My dogs worked well and got several clear rounds apart for Chart who was a little b.....! In his last 2 runs he went like the wind and was clear right until the last 2 jumps when the little monster decided to leave the ring to search out his lead, this is his prized possession with which he loves to play tuggy while going to and from the rings for his runs. A club member who had the same problem with his dogs gave me a useful remedy which consists of a loop of rope which can easily go in one's pocket and this is the reward once the run is completed, tuggy with leads is not allowed but tuggy with the loop is another matter! I have even hidden his lead behind the score tent and the little monster has left the ring and whipped around the back to find it, mind you I can't help laughing as Chart is such a character and blatantly naughty but I wouldn't change him for worlds!
Alas, my show season is now over and it is time to concentrate on winter training and work on the home front to catch up with my somewhat belated spring cleaning !!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment