Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Norfolk





I don't know why traffic is always heavier on a Friday however I made it to Norfolk in good time beating the usual Friday traffic snarl ups possibly because despite the 'no arrivals before 3pm' directive I drew into the venue around 1.30 and quickly found my pre allocated pitch which was right on the edge of the exercise area. Fortunately I had set up and walked the dogs before the bad weather set in. Such a wild night with lashing rain and the caravan buffeted by the gale force wind. Contrary to the bad weekend weather forecast Saturday dawned dry yet misty prior to a glorious summer like day. This was a small show with only five rings, three were outside and the remaining two in a huge equestrian centre but the class numbers were still as large as ever especially as this was the last camping show of the season. Brigg and Chart did really neat agility runs and were placed 4th and 10th respectively. Apart from that Kai went clear and it was a 5 fault day for Keets. Roli and Tambi were overjoyed to have several sessions in the exercise field chasing after balls and frisbees and once I had completed all my runs unusually in the early afternoon I took the other four on a long lead walk around the centre. There were a considerable amount of horses in the field adjoining the exercise area and Brigg is not at his best with horses besides which the electric fence (the cable about 2 ft. from the ground) was live and having witnessed the odd yelp from dogs unfortunate enough to come into contact with it I was happier to avoid confrontation!!
Sunday and again a fine morning with a glimmer of sunlight which faded as the morning ran on. I managed to get Kai eliminated twice in devilishly difficult courses, enough said that the second place in agility went to someone who incurred 10faults! Brigg had a couple of good runs but missed his weave entry due to his excessive speed. The grade 3 to 5 course was fiendishly hard. Both Chart and Brigg suffered elimination which was the same fate as most of the dogs in the class however I actually got Keeto round it to come 3rd! To make a great end to the season Chart flew around the grade 3 jumping to do a lovely clear round, on going to the score tent to check if he was in the places after the class had closed I was overjoyed to find he had come 2nd so we came home with trophies!
By lunch time the sky looked very threatening, during this time I packed up everything and hitched the caravan ready for departure which was just as well as it was not long before the rain started. With just 3 classes left which to be honest I rushed so did not do well I was able to make a quick get a way once I had completed my runs and had an unexpectedly good journey home the rain stopped within half an hour or so of my starting out which was an added bonus. Having parked and unhitched the caravan I was somewhat dismayed on connecting the handle to activate the knock on drive on the caravan power mover to snap the bolt in half, here you are talking about a solid hexagonal 2 inch diameter chunk of metal! Fortunately I am able to activate the power mover from both sides so had to venture into the road to perform this task and despite most of the sky being pitch black I was able to get the caravan down the drive and erect it before the rain started. We were very fortunate with the weather during the weekend, especially as I heard that Surrey had suffered torrential rain for most of the time I had been away!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic photo...well done for your places and for cheeky chops getting a 2nd! lol xx

    ReplyDelete