` My Special Boy
December 22nd 1997 - August 19th 2012
We first met on 13th February 1997, I had gone to see a red merle bitch and on entering the room penned in a corner of the room were 9 puppies, but a little red and white boy stole my heart, but no, I was going to get a girl. All the puppies were let out into the room to play and although the little girl was lovely my eyes continually strayed to the red boy who after the third time of climbing into the coal bucket and becoming blacker by the minute I could resist no longer, so Roli aged almost 8 weeks came home that day to join Leo aged 6 months. From the moment they met they were best pals, sharing a bed and even chewing on the same bone, such a lovely pair.
Roli took to agility like a duck to water, his enthusiasm was boundless and although I never intended doing any shows, after his first run at Cranleigh Show we were hooked and so started a wonderful new life which for someone who had not had a holiday in 30 years was a revelation!
I remember the day Roli won me out of Elementary, he went like the wind and finished seconds ahead of the next dog. Perhaps speed was Roli's downfall as once in Starters and the jumps were higher poles often fell like rain but he was such a happy boy and we did so enjoy ourselves. When he went clear he was often in the top ten places, it was rare for him ever to miss a contact and I recall falling over, (as I so frequently do) but even so Roli remained steadfastly on the A Frame until I released him! His strange way of jumping with his hind legs tucked well underneath was often his downfall.
Roli hadn't a bad bone in his body, I have never known a dog with such expressive golden eyes, I used to awake every morning to find him gazing down at me, such a precious boy who went almost blind just before the end of his life, nevertheless he instinctively knew on walk when I was throwing toys, he would circled several times before running happily in the wrong direction....such a special boy who will always remain in my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aw bless him. I gave you a hug back along Jane but sending you another one now. I loved the part where you descibe him happily running in the wrong direction. You just have to love them - what's the point otherwise??? hxxxx
ReplyDelete